Today’s post can either be called “really late” or “early for planning purposes.” I prefer the latter, but you can decide on your own 🙂 It’s a photo of my son’s Halloween costume from last year that I made — he LOVES Eric Carle’s book, The Very Caterpillar, so that was the inspiration for the costume (his baby shower theme was books, and the copy of the book that we read almost every day was the guest book.)
Just as an aside — I HAVE a sewing machine and I HAVE sewed in the past, but I do not consider myself a sewer, so this costume is also an almost NO SEW project (I will explain after the picture):
I started with a men’s extra large sweatshirt (dark green), and I bought scraps/pieces of 4 different green fabrics as the stripes (in the book, the caterpillar is all green). I am sorry to say, but this was more of an ‘eyeball-it’ project than a ‘measure-everything-so-it-is-precise’ project. Anyway, I cut one of the fabrics to a width that I thought would be good (I knew that I wanted to stuff the stripes so they would be puffy) and then measured the rest from there. I used stitch-witchery iron-on tape and started at the top and worked my way down. I then used the stuffing that I had at home to stuff the stripes. The LITTLE sewing that I did was a quick whip stitch at the end on the side of the stripes so that the batting would not fall out.
All in all, a success! It lasted through a couple of Halloween parties (including our own) and on Halloween night and still has some trick-or-treating left in it for another kid! Enjoy!